50 Best Magazines of 2021
Have you wondered what the most popular magazines in the U.S. are? There have been some changes since 2020.
Measuring a magazine's success is factoring in its print and digital circulation, readership, and broad audience reach. Let's get some definitions out of the way. A magazine's circulation captures the number of copies of each issue distributed to the public, including single-copy sales and the number of subscriptions verified and paid. Readership refers to the average number of people who read each magazine copy. A magazine's reach refers to how many people the title reaches across platforms, including their audience of social media, print, and digital platforms.
For this list, we based the ranking on which magazines had the highest circulation in 2021. We gathered an official report from the Alliance for Audited Media (AAM), which audits circulation and rate base numbers for magazines.
AARP The Magazine
1. The magazine with the highest circulation in 2021 was AARP The Magazine, featuring an impressive circulation of 22,500,000 and a readership of 36,916,000 people! America's most-read magazine is free to AARP Members. It explores key life stages after 50, featuring different editions for readers in their 50s, 60s, or 70+. Get the latest news relevant to you with a free bi-monthly subscription!
2. AARP Bulletin had a circulation of 22,500,000 and a readership of 30,375,000 people. This magazine features topics most important to Americans ages 50+, with ten issues per year. Get the publication for free by becoming an AARP Member!
3. Costco Connection featured a circulation of over 15,500,000 and a reach of 35,000,000 people. Delivered to Costco Executive members, this monthly magazine features interviews with prominent figures, delicious recipes, healthy living sections, travel features, and more! Become a Costco Executive member today!
Better Homes and Gardens
4. Better Homes and Gardens Magazine had a circulation of over 7,600,000 and a readership of 31,000,000. They reach 51 million people across print, digital, and social platforms. This women's lifestyle magazine features 12 issues a year, covering home improvement, cooking, DIY projects, and lifestyle tips. Better Homes & Gardens features seasonal holiday planning and entertaining advice each year. Subscribe to the print version today!
For the digital edition, subscribe here.
6. People Magazine featured a circulation of over 3,400,000 and a readership of 32,000,000. Across all platforms, they had an unparalleled reach of 118 million people! People Magazine spotlights your favorite celebrities with gossip columns, interviews, and Hollywood's current events. Get your pop culture fix with a print subscription!
If you prefer the digital edition, subscribe here!
7. Good Housekeeping Magazine had a circulation of over 3,300,000 and a reach of 14,400,000. They reached a total of 57 million people across all platforms. Since 1885, this women's magazine has pleased readers with regular articles on DIY, home improvement, cooking, life management, and more!
Subscribe to the print edition! We also carry the digital version if you prefer reading on your tablet or mobile device.
8. Reader's Digest had a circulation of over 3,000,000, with a reach of 13,100,000. Their total reach across platforms was 27.5 million people. Reader's Digest inspires, touches, and entertains readers with every issue. Discover heartwarming stories, funny jokes, and tons of tips for every life! Subscribe today! We also offer digital and Large Print editions.
9. Southern Living Magazine featured a circulation of more than 2,800,000 subscribers, a readership of over 13,100,000, and a total reach of 19 million people across platforms. Spotlighting the best of the Southern lifestyle, this magazine inspires readers with fantastic homes, gardens, and recipes. Purchase a print subscription today! For the digital edition, subscribe here.
10. Shape Magazine had a circulation of 2,500,000 and a readership of more than 3,500,000. They reached a total of 14.9 million people across platforms. Though this magazine has ceased publication, Shape motivated women to lead an active lifestyle, stay healthy, and live their happiest lives.
11. Woman's Day Magazinefeatured a circulation of more than 2,300,000 subscribers and a readership of over 10,800,000. It reached over 17 million people across social, digital, and print platforms. This women's magazine inspires in food, health, style, weight loss, and more! Get the latest bargains and enjoy every issue of a new subscription! For
Woman's Day digital edition, subscribe here .
12. Cosmopolitan Magazine had a circulation of over 2,200,000 and a readership of more than 13,100,000 people. They reached 65 million people across all platforms. As the ultimate magazine for modern women, Cosmo advises readers on relationships, fashion, beauty, health, and the working world - it is all-in-one! Subscribe today! If you prefer the
Subscribe to Cosmo today! If you prefer the digital version, it is also available here.
13. Parents Magazine featured a circulation of more than 2.2 million subscribers. They had a readership of 6.6 million and reached over 26 million people across multiple platforms. True to its name, Parents Magazine was the ultimate resource for parents. Each issue aided parents with trusted advice relating to school, work, pets, food, etc. Parents Magazine has ceased publication.
Martha Stewart Living
14. Martha Stewart Living had a circulation of over 2,000,000 and a readership of 7,000,000. They reached more than 34 million people across all platforms. Created by the famous Martha Stewart, this magazine celebrates simple things like gardening, decorating, cooking, entertaining, etc. Martha Stewart Living Magazine is now ceased.
15. Real Simple Magazine featured a circulation of more than 1,980,000 and a readership of 6,200,000. They reached 22.5 million people across all platforms. Lead a calm, simple lifestyle with help from this practical magazine. Each issue features seasonal recipes, decorating tips, health advice, and more. Subscribe today! We also feature the digital edition.
16. Us Weekly Magazine's had a circulation of over 1,960,000, with a readership of more than 9,500,000. They reached a total of 50 million people across platforms. As one of the leading voices of pop culture and entertainment, US Weekly gives readers an exclusive look into the lives of their favorite celebrities. Subscribe to this weekly magazine today!
17. National Geographic Magazine featured a circulation of over 1,930,000 and reached over 27.9 million people across platforms. National Geographic is the ultimate resource about the world and its inhabitants. Each issue dives into various regions with beautiful photographs and well-researched articles. Subscribe today! We also feature National Geographic Kids (for ages 6-12) and Little Kids (for ages 3-6).
18. EatingWell Magazine had a circulation of over 1.79 million and a readership of 7 million. They reached more than 21 million people across platforms. Though this award-winning magazine has ceased publication, it was an excellent resource for readers with a passion for healthy eating. Each issue featured science-backed advice on wellness, sustainability, home, and leading a balanced life.
20. Sports Illustrated Magazine had a circulation of over 1,740,000 and a readership of 17,000,000 and reached over 30 million people across all platforms. Sports Illustrated covers professional, college, and amateur events as America's favorite sports magazine. Casual and avid sports fans alike will get the latest on basketball, football, racing, hockey, and baseball.
Try a subscription today! Do you have a younger sports fan at home? Subscribe to Sports Illustrated Kids!
21. InStyle Magazine featured a circulation of over 1,720,000 and a readership of over 5,700,000. Though this magazine has now ceased, it was one of the largest fashion magazine brands in the world. Each issue touched on fashion and beauty news, entertainment and pop culture pieces, travel and wellness, etc.
24. Golf Digest had a circulation of over 1,650,000 and a readership of 4,600,000. They reached more than 17 million people across platforms. As the leading golf magazine for golfers of all levels, Golf Digest provides instructional features, equipment reviews, golf course ratings, and news about upcoming tours. Subscribe to Golf Digest today!
25. American Rifleman Magazine had a circulation of 1,630,000 and a readership of more than 3,600,000. They reached over 19 million people across platforms. Produced by the NRA, this magazine keeps readers abreast with expert coverage of rifles, shotguns, handguns, politics involving the Second Amendment, and more. Subscribe to American Rifleman today!
26. TIME Magazine featured a circulation of over 1,619,000 and a readership of more than 15,900,000. Time has brought breaking news, exceptional reporting, and expert analysis to readers' homes for nearly a century. Each issue features today's top journalists and photographers, answering tricky questions and helping readers understand the latest news. Purchase a subscription today!
27. Smithsonian Magazine had a circulation of more than 1,609,000 and a readership of more than 6,158,000. They reached over 18 million people across platforms. Published by one of the world's most famous museums, The Smithsonian Magazine features science and nature news you can trust. Discover features on the environment, physical sciences, anthropology, pop culture, history, and much more! Stay abreast of the latest science news with a new subscription!
29. Men's Health Magazine had a circulation of more than 1,533,000 and a readership of more than 9,500,000. They reached over 40.7 million people across platforms. As one of America's most popular men's magazines, Men's Health helps men lead their healthiest life! Each issue features valuable tips and insights into men's fitness, diet, lifestyle, etc. Live your best life with help from a print subscription! We also feature the digital edition.
30. Bon Appetit Magazine had a circulation of over 1,506,015 and a readership of 6,000,000. They reached over 33.2 million people across platforms. Enjoy perfect recipes for dining and entertaining with Bon Appetit! Each issue of this food magazine features delicious recipes, expert restaurant reviews, entertaining tips, and unique travel and wine features! Subscribe to this deliciously fun magazine today!
31. Entertainment Weekly had a circulation of more than 1,505,000 and a readership of 10,000,000. They reached over 38 million people across platforms. As the ultimate guide for entertainment, each issue of this magazine featured the best of Hollywood: exclusive celebrity interviews, the latest movie, tv-show, and book reviews. Entertainment Weekly has now ceased publication.
32. AllRecipes Magazine had a circulation of more than 1,490,000 and a readership of 8,700,000. They reached over 65.4 million people across platforms, showcasing the creativity of dishes worldwide. Discover trusted recipes, expert tips, seasonal features, and photography to inspire your next dish! Students and educators can subscribe here.
34. Health Magazine had a circulation of over 1,370,000 and a readership of 6,041,000. They reached over 27 million people across platforms. Living well was never easier than with the help of Health Magazine. Each issue of this wellness magazine provided life, health, and mental wellness advice while promoting self-acceptance. Health Magazine has now ceased publication.
35. Women's Health Magazine featured a circulation of more than 1,290,000 and a readership of 8,800,000. They reached 44 million people across platforms. Women's Health is a women's magazine with a broad focus to encompass everything in a woman's life. Each issue touches on health features, fitness tips, nutrition advice, fashion coverage, relationship insights, etc. Subscribe to the print or digital edition today!
36. HGTV Magazine had a circulation of more than 1,266,000 and a readership of 9,400,000. Fans of the HGTV network love HGTV Magazine! Discover home inspiration, DIY improvements, innovative projects, and versatile ideas to help you make the home of your dreams. Subscribe to HGTV Print today! We also feature the digital format!
37. Vogue Magazine featured a circulation of over 1,239,000 and a readership of 9,100,000. It reached 342.2 million people across print, digital, social, and video platforms. If you're looking for high fashion, there's no magazine like Vogue. This fashion magazine has brought the latest and greatest in style for over a century: accessories, clothes, art, and beyond! Purchase a subscription to Vogue today!
38. Golf Magazine featured a circulation of more than 1,238,000 and a readership of 8,200,000. Golf Magazine is your complete guide to the game of golf. Seasoned and casual golfers alike appreciate the full coverage and advice this sports magazine provides. Each issue features advice from experts on improving your game, updates on tournaments, reviews on the best equipment, and more! Become a better athlete with help from a new subscription!
The New Yorker
39. The New Yorker Magazine featured a circulation of over 1,234,000 and a readership of 5,600,000. They reached 59.5 million people across print, social, digital, and video platforms. Featuring unique crossword puzzles, ironic cartoons, and short fiction, this bi-weekly magazine covers the latest news in politics, current events, sports, fashion, and the arts. Purchase a subscription to New Yorker Print edition today!
40. Vanity Fair Magazine featured a circulation of more than 1,212,000 and a readership of 6,800,000. They reached 100.4 million people across print, social, digital, and video platforms. From New York to California, Wallstreet to Hollywood, Vanity Fair Magazine reports on the news that matters. Each issue touches on politics, business, finance, current events, pop culture, and entertainment. With stunning photography and excellent journalism, every issue is a treat - subscribe now!
41. Magnolia Journal had a circulation of more than 1,238,000 and a readership of 5,400,000. From the beloved Chip and Joanna Gaines' comes Magnolia Journal! This lifestyle magazine inspires, encourages, and informs readers on powerful home updates, gardening, outdoor tips, and holiday and event planning with four issues per year. Subscribe here!
42. Allure Magazine featured a circulation of over 1,190,000 and a readership of 3,400,000. They reached 48.8 million people across print, social, digital, and video platforms. You can never get enough of beauty! Allure Magazine brings the best of beauty to your home with each issue! Discover style advice for all body types, hair care ideas for different textures, beauty product reviews, and more! Subscribe to Allure Magazine today.
44. Country Living Magazine had a circulation of more than 1,120,000 and a readership of over 8,900,000. They reached more than 29.1 million people across platforms. Those who appreciate life in the country will love Country Living Magazine. Whether you're living in the country or not, each issue of this magazine brings the country life to your door with help on decorating, restoring, cooking, gardening, and entertaining in your home. Subscribe to Country Living! For the digital version, subscribe here.
45. Where Magazine had a circulation of more than 1,116,000. Where Magazine is a travel magazine with valuable visitor information for cities worldwide. Find the hottest spots: the best in shopping, dining, entertainment, and cultural attractions in each destination! View more details here.
Car and Driver
46. Car and Driver Magazine had a circulation of more than 1,077,500 and a readership of over 8,200,000. They reached more than 14.4 million people across platforms. Auto enthusiasts of all ages enjoy Car and Driver Magazine. Covering cars, pickups, sport-utility vehicles, and vans, this auto magazine tests and objectively reports on new models. Discover features on the latest technology, industry developments, and interviews with influential personalities in the field. Are you interested? Subscribe to the print or digital version now!
47. Essence Magazine had a circulation of more than 1,077,200 and a readership of over 6,500,000. They reached 43.5 million people across platforms. As the premier lifestyle and fashion magazine for African-American women, Essence offers an intimate, vibrant community for Black women across the nation. Each issue uplifts, empowers, and encourages women to live fully and passionately. Subscribe to this monthly magazine today!
Birds & Blooms
49. Birds & Blooms Magazine had a circulation of over 1,037,000 and a readership of 4,100,000. They reached 6 million people across platforms. As America's #1 bird and garden magazine, Birds & Blooms speaks to outdoor enthusiasts with homegrown wisdom and expert advice. Take your outdoor enjoyment to the next level with professional photography, enjoyable stories, valuable advice, and more! Subscribe to Birds & Blooms print edition today! We also feature the digital version here.
More Popular Options:
View our cooking & food collection for more subscription options like Food & Wine.
View our collection for more business publications like Consumer Reports and Forbes Magazine.
Are you looking for breaking news magazines? Browse our collection for more choices like Wired Magazine.
Get a subscription through MagazineLine!
Browse our complete collection of magazines!
If you are ever unhappy with our service, we will do whatever it takes to make it right - even a 100% cash refund if you choose!
If you find a lower publisher-authorized price for a magazine you've purchased from us, we'll cheerfully refund the difference.
We are proud to be one of the few online magazine agencies that offers a three-payment billing option.