50 Best Magazines of 2022
Are you wondering what the most popular magazines in the U.S. are? There have been some changes since 2021.
Measuring a magazine's success involves factoring in its print and digital circulation, readership, and broad audience reach. Let's get some definitions out of the way. A magazine's circulation captures the number of copies of each issue distributed to the public, including single-copy sales and the number of subscriptions verified and paid. Readership refers to the average number of people who read each magazine copy. A magazine's reach refers to how many people the title reaches across platforms, including its social media, print, and digital audience.
For this list, we based the ranking on which magazines had the highest circulation in 2022. We gathered an official report from the Alliance for Audited Media (AAM), which audits circulation and rate base numbers for magazines.
AARP The Magazine
1. 1. The magazine with the highest circulation in 2022 was AARP The Magazine, featuring an impressive circulation of more than 22,750,000 and a reach of over 37,500,000 people! America's most-read magazine is free to AARP Members. It explores critical life stages after 50, featuring different editions for readers in their 50s, 60s, or 70+. Get the latest news relevant to you with a free bi-monthly subscription!
AARP Bulletin had a circulation of 22,500,000 and a readership of more than 30,400,000 people. This magazine features topics most important to Americans ages 50+, with ten issues per year. Get the publication for free by becoming an AARP Member !
Costco Connection featured a circulation of over 15,500,000 and a reach of 35,500,000 people. Delivered to Costco Executive members, this monthly magazine features interviews with prominent figures, delicious recipes, healthy living sections, travel features, and more! Become a Costco Executive member today!
Better Homes and Gardens
4. Better Homes and Gardens Magazine had a circulation of over 7,600,000 and a readership of 27,000,000. They reach 51 million people across print, digital, and social platforms. This women's lifestyle magazine features 12 issues a year, covering home improvement, cooking, DIY projects, and lifestyle tips. Better Homes & Gardens features seasonal holiday planning and entertaining advice each year. Subscribe to the print version today! For the digital edition, subscribe here.
6. Good Housekeeping Magazine had a circulation of over 3,300,000 and a reach of 14,400,000. They reached a total of 57 million people across all platforms. Since 1885, this women's magazine has pleased readers with regular articles on DIY, home improvement, cooking, life management, and more!
Subscribe to the print edition! We also carry the digital version if you prefer reading on your tablet or mobile device.
7. Reader's Digest had a circulation of over 2,900,000, reaching 13,100,000 people. Their total reach across platforms was 27.5 million people. Reader's Digest inspires, touches, and entertains readers with every issue. Discover heartwarming stories, funny jokes, and many tips for every life! Subscribe to Reader's Digest today! We also offer digital and Large Print editions.
8. Southern Living Magazine featured a circulation of more than 2,800,000 subscribers, a readership of over 15,600,000, and a total reach of nearly 19 million people across platforms. Spotlighting the best of the Southern lifestyle, this magazine inspires readers with fantastic homes, gardens, and recipes. Purchase a print subscription today! For Southern Living digital edition, subscribe here.
9. Cosmopolitan Magazine had a circulation of over 2,100,000 and a readership of more than 9,700,000 people. They reached 61 million people across all platforms. As the ultimate magazine for modern women, Cosmo advises readers on relationships, fashion, beauty, health, and the working world - it is all-in-one! Subscribe to Cosmo today! If you prefer the digital version, it is also available here.
11. Us Weekly Magazine had a circulation of over 1,970,000, with a total reach of more than 40 million across platforms. As one of the leading voices of pop culture and entertainment, U.S. Weekly gives readers an exclusive look into the lives of their favorite celebrities. Subscribe to this weekly magazine today.
13. National Geographic Magazine featured a circulation of over 1,780,000 and reached over 27.9 million people across platforms. National Geographic is the ultimate resource about the world and its inhabitants. Each issue dives into various regions with beautiful photographs and well-researched articles. Subscribe today! We also feature National Geographic Kids (for ages 6-12) and Little Kids (for ages 3-6).
15. Golf Digest had a circulation of over 1,640,000 and a readership of 3,600,000. They reached more than 18.7 million people across platforms. As the leading golf magazine for golfers of all levels, Golf Digest provides instructional features, equipment reviews, golf course ratings, and news about upcoming tours. Subscribe to Golf Digest today!
17. $$MAGNAMEANDLINK$$ featured a circulation of more than 1,600,000 subscribers and a readership of over 8,100,000. It reached over 16 million people across social, digital, and print platforms. This women's magazine inspires in food, health, style, weight loss, and more! Visit Woman's Day today.
18. Smithsonian Magazine had a circulation of more than 1,590,000 and a readership of more than 5,600,000. They reached over 16 million people across platforms. Published by one of the world's most famous museums, The Smithsonian Magazine features science and nature news you can trust. Discover features on the environment, physical sciences, anthropology, pop culture, history, and much more! Stay abreast of the latest science news with a new subscription!
20. American Rifleman Magazine rounds out the top 20 with a circulation of over 1,400,000 and a readership of more than 4,000,000. They reached over 17.6 million people across platforms. Produced by the NRA, this magazine keeps readers up-to-date with expert coverage of rifles, shotguns, handguns, politics involving the Second Amendment, and more. Subscribe to American Rifleman today!
23. TIME Magazine featured a circulation of over 1,300,000 and a reach of more than 91 million people across platforms worldwide. For nearly a century, Time Magazine has brought breaking news, exceptional reporting, and expert analysis to readers' homes. Each issue features today's top journalists and photographers, answering tricky questions and helping readers understand the latest news. Purchase a TIME subscription today!
24. Men's Health Magazine had a circulation of more than 1,315,000 and a readership of more than 9 million. They reached over 43.5 million people across platforms. As one of America's most popular men's magazines, Men's Health helps men lead their healthiest life! Each issue features valuable tips and insights into men's fitness, diet, lifestyle, etc. Live your best life with the help of a print subscription! We also feature Men's Health digital edition.
The New Yorker
25. The New Yorker Magazine featured a circulation of over 1,250,000 and a readership of 5,600,000. They reached 58.8 million people across print, social, digital, and video platforms. Featuring unique crossword puzzles, ironic cartoons, and short fiction, this bi-weekly magazine covers the latest news in politics, current events, sports, fashion, and the arts. Purchase a subscription to New Yorker today!
26. Sports Illustrated Magazine had a circulation of over 1,200,000 and a readership of 11,7000,000. Sports Illustrated covers professional, college, and amateur events as America's favorite sports magazine. Casual and avid sports fans will get the latest on basketball, football, racing, hockey, and baseball. Try a subscription today! Do you have a younger sports fan at home? Subscribe to Sports Illustrated Kids!
27. Vogue Magazine featured a circulation of over 1,228,000 and a readership of 8,000,000. It reached 269 million people across print, digital, social, and video platforms. If you're looking for high fashion, there's no magazine like Vogue. This fashion magazine has brought the latest and greatest style for over a century: accessories, clothes, art, and beyond! Purchase a subscription to Vogue today!
28. Golf Magazine featured a circulation of more than 1,220,000 and a readership of 3,700,000. Golf Magazine is your complete guide to the game of golf. Seasoned and casual golfers appreciate the full coverage and advice this sports magazine provides. Each issue features expert advice on improving your game, updates on tournaments, reviews on the best equipment, and more! Become a better athlete with help from a new subscription!
29. Vanity Fair Magazine featured a circulation of more than 1,217,000 and a readership of 7,000,000. They reached 122 million people across print, social, digital, and video platforms. From New York to California, Wallstreet to Hollywood, Vanity Fair Magazine reports on the news that matters. Each issue touches on politics, business, finance, current events, pop culture, and entertainment. With stunning photography and excellent journalism, every issue is a treat - subscribe now!
30. Magnolia Journal had a circulation of more than 1,182,000 and a readership of 5,400,000. From the beloved Chip and Joanna Gaines' comes Magnolia Journal! This lifestyle magazine inspires, encourages, and informs readers on powerful home updates, gardening, outdoor tips, and holiday and event planning with four issues per year. Subscribe here!
31. Allure Magazine featured a circulation of over 1,179,000 and a readership of 4,000,000. They reached 21.6 million people across print, social, and digital platforms. You can always get more beauty! Allure Magazine brings the best of beauty to your home with each issue! Discover style advice for all body types, hair care ideas for different textures, beauty product reviews, and more! Visit Allure today.
32. HGTV Magazine had a circulation of more than 1,109,000 and a readership of 8,100,000. Fans of the HGTV network love HGTV Magazine! Discover home inspiration, DIY improvements, innovative projects, and versatile ideas to help you make the home of your dreams. Subscribe to HGTV Print today! We also feature the digital format!
33. Women's Health Magazine featured a circulation of more than 1,107,000 and a readership of 7,900,000. They reached 44 million people across platforms. Women's Health is a women's magazine with a broad focus to encompass everything in a woman's life. Each issue touches on health features, fitness tips, nutrition advice, fashion coverage, relationship insights, etc. Subscribe to Women's Health print or digital edition today!
36. Bon Appetit Magazine had a circulation of over 1,066,000 and a readership of 6,000,000. They reached over 33 million people across platforms. Enjoy perfect recipes for dining and entertaining with Bon Appetit! Each issue of this food magazine features delicious recipes, expert restaurant reviews, entertaining tips, and unique travel and wine features! Subscribe to this deliciously fun magazine today!
37. Men's Journal featured a circulation of more than 1,010,000 subscribers. They had a readership of 3,000,000 and reached over 14.1 million people across multiple platforms. Men's Journal was the top lifestyle magazine for men focusing on living a healthy, active life. Each issue covered health and wellness, sports, travel, and gadgets. Men's Journal has now ceased publication. Visit Men's Journal today.
Countdown Magazine had a circulation of over 1,000,000 people. Offered exclusively at OB/GYN offices, Countdown Magazine helps expecting mothers throughout their pregnancy, from planning their baby registry to preparing for labor. Discover valuable advice on emotions, tips on pain management, information on c-sections, and pregnancy myths.
Parents-The First Year
40. Parent- The First Year Magazine had a circulation of over 1,000,000 and a readership of 6,600,000. They reached more than 26.1 million people across all platforms. Reaching over 90% of the U.S. birth market, Parents-The First Year Magazine is available exclusively at maternity wards for new mothers. Each issue features valuable information on the baby's developments, accomplishments, and discoveries.
41. Midwest Living Magazine had a circulation of over 970,000 and a readership of 2,100,000. They reached more than 2.5 million people across all platforms. As the leading magazine of the American Midwest, Midwest Living features witty, award-winning content on the beautiful things about the region. Each issue features Midwestern cooking, homes, traditions, lifestyles, and more: subscribe to Midwest Living today! If you'd prefer the digital edition, subscribe here.
42. Essence Magazine had a circulation of more than 964,000 and a readership of over 2,900,000. They reached 49 million people across platforms. As the premier lifestyle and fashion magazine for African-American women, Essence offers an intimate, vibrant community for Black women across the nation. Each issue uplifts, empowers and encourages women to live fully and passionately. Subscribe to this monthly magazine today!
Food & Wine
44. Food & Wine Magazine had a circulation of over 937,000 and a readership of 9.6 million. They reached more than 33.7 million people across platforms. If you pride yourself on being a food and wine connoisseur, this is the magazine for you! Each issue features delicious recipes, restaurant reviews, reports on the best vintage wine from around the world, chef secrets, and so much more. Subscribe to Food & Wine print today - get the digital edition here.
45. GQ Magazine had a circulation of over 927,000 and a readership of 5 million. They reached more than 165.5 million people across platforms. As the definitive voice for the sophisticated American man, G.Q. Magazine (originally "Gentlemen's Quarterly") provides subscribers with the content that matters most to them! Each issue features the latest in men's fashion, sports updates, hot travel spots, personal advice, and more - subscribe to G.Q. today!
46. First Magazine had a circulation of over 898,000 and a readership of 1,946,000. They reached more than 3,400,000 people across platforms. First for Women Magazine is the beloved women's interest magazine that touches on everything in a modern woman's life. Each issue highlights positivity with uplifting articles and priceless advice on relationships, home, health, beauty, and more. Subscribe to First Magazine today!
49. Woman's World Magazine had a circulation of more than 843,400 people. They reached over 4,200,000 people across platforms. As the number-one woman's weekly magazine, Woman's World gives readers the inspiration, tools, and advice needed to make the most of their lives. Each issue offers tips on fashion, décor, recipes, beauty, and more! Subscribe to Woman's World today.
50. The Atlantic Magazine had a circulation of more than 843,250 people. As the ultimate magazine for curious minds, The Atlantic Magazine has enriched intellectual lives for more than 160 years. Each issue features essays and literature from today's best writers. Subscribe to The Atlantic today.
More Popular Options:
View our lifestyle magazines for more options like Country Living.
View our collection for more business publications like Consumer Reports and Forbes Magazine.
Are you looking for breaking news magazines? Browse our collection for more choices, like The Economist and Wired Magazine.
Get a subscription through MagazineLine!
Browse our complete collection of magazine subscriptions!
If you are ever unhappy with our service, we will do whatever it takes to make it right - even a 100% cash refund if you choose!
If you find a lower publisher-authorized price for a magazine you've purchased from us, we'll cheerfully refund the difference.
We are proud to be one of the few online magazine agencies that offers a three-payment billing option.